Clinical Lab Technologist
2p-10p incl. e/o weekend & rotating holidays
Provide accurate, timely and cost effective testing of patient samples to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of disease in compliance and harmony with the quality management system.
1. Determine normal and abnormal components of blood and body fluids by conducting chemical analyses of blood, urine, and other body fluids.
2. Analyze blood cells by counting and identifying cells, using both automated and microscopic techniques and procedures
3. Prepare blood, plasma and platelets for transfusion by conducting blood group, type and compatibility tests. Select and issue appropriate products for transfusion.
4. Ensure operation of analyzers and other laboratory equipment by calibrating; completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs. May be a key analyzer operator with proper training and documentation of skills.
5. Conserve laboratory resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results
6. Accurately complete records and reports and other statistical information for master files or databases. Follows laboratory policy for data retrieval, record keeping, specimen, and identification, requisition, reporting, charting , and billing procedures
7. Perform testing in accordance with standard operating procedures, manufacturer’s instructions, and regulatory requirements.
8. Assist Senior Technologists with orientation and training of new staff
9. Maintain a positive working relationship with the medical staff and hospital personnel. Uses positive interpersonal skills to educate/support lab customers and promote success of team members. Uses clear and concise verbal and written communication with staff and the public. Acts independently on supervisor’s direction and accepts responsibility of the adopted policy and procedures of the hospital and laboratory. Works different shifts as required.
10. Participates in QC/QI of area of specialty and Lab Indicators. Does not report patient results unless quality control data are within accepted parameters. Recognizes out of control values, takes corrective action, and notifies others of changes.
11. Assume responsibility to resolve problems. Investigates and resolves technical problems, consults supervisor if resolution involves policy or procedure modification. Identifies real or potential situations or equipment failure, attempts to resolve within area of specialty or knowledge and refers complex issues to appropriate source.
Education: Must meet New York State Department of Education Requirements for Clinical Laboratory Technologist, which stipulates a Bachelor’s Degree in Clinical Laboratory Technology from a school approved by NYSED.
Experience: experience in a hospital based clinical laboratory is preferred but not required
Licensure: Must be licensed as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist by New York State Department of Education.