RN, Chemo/Bio Infusion - Cancer Center
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Oncology Infusion Room nurse will plan and provide nursing interventions for patients with cancer and cancer related health care problems. The candidate will direct and guide the delivery of patient care, patient and family education and all care related activities while maintaining and ensuring the maintenance of the standards of professional nursing. The candidate will provide quality care, enhancing patient and family satisfaction.
• Practices within the boundaries of the NYS Practice Act for Registered Professional Nurses and provides care according to unit-specific Standards of Care and Practice.
• Provides direct patient care and assumes responsibility for the nursing care of assigned patients.
• Diagnoses and treats human response to actual or potential health problems through such services as patient care, health teaching, and health counseling.
• Individualizes plans of care utilizing assessed psychological, biological, sociological, cultural and spiritual needs. Ensures that this plan is communicated and carried out to meet the desired outcomes.
• Initiates nursing actions based on patient needs and changes.
• Provides cancer specific/treatment specific education to patients and their families based on patient assessment, patient needs and readiness to learn.
• Documents patient/family responses and understanding of instructions.
• Demonstrates the skills and knowledge in implementation:
-venous access device protocol
-Medication administration policy
-blood transfusion protocol
-chemotherapy home infusion protocol
-pain management protocol
• Demonstrates skill and competency in venipuncture.
• Reports changes in patient status to physicians and/or APPs; documents observations and actions taken.
• Demonstrates the ability and knowledge to network with others to provide a multidisciplinary approach to the support and care of the patient and their families, with the ability to initiate referrals to appropriate services.
• Demonstrates the skill and knowledge to conduct telephone triage. Ability to assess, identify, guide and support patient/family needs, concerns and problems, and knowledge to take appropriate action(s).
• Seeks supervisory support for unusual or complex cases.
• Ability to remain calm and professional in crisis and emergent situations, and in dealing with difficult patients/family members.
• Knowledgeable and demonstrates compliance in standards of The Joint Commission Standards of Nursing Care and other applicable standards.
• Working knowledge of Advance Directives.
• Performs other related duties as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
• Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing. Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing preferred.
• 2- 5 years chemo/infusion experience
• Current License to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse in New York State.
• ONS/ONCC certified
• Chemotherapy Biotherapy Certified
• BLS certified
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Strong computer skills with EHR experience
• Customer service oriented
• Ability to problem solve