RN, ONS/ONCC Certified - Cancer Clinic
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Cancer Clinic nurse will plan and provide nursing interventions for patients with cancer and cancer related health care problems. The candidate will direct and guide the delivery of patient care, patient and family education and all care related activities while maintaining and ensuring the maintenance of the standards of professional nursing. The candidate will provide quality care, enhancing patient and family satisfaction.
• Practices within the boundaries of the NYS Practice Act for Registered Professional Nurses and provides care according to unit-specific Standards of Care and Practice.
• Provides direct patient care and assumes responsibility for the nursing care of patients visiting the Cancer Care Clinic.
• Diagnoses and treats human response to actual or potential health problems through such services as patient care, health teaching, and health counseling.
• Individualizes plans of care utilizing assessed psychological, biological, sociological, cultural and spiritual needs. Ensures that this plan is communicated and carried out to meet the desired outcomes.
• Initiates nursing actions based on patient needs and changes.
• Provides cancer specific/treatment specific education to patients and their families based on patient assessment, patient needs and readiness to learn.
• Documents patient/family responses and understanding of instructions.
• Demonstrates skill and competency in venipuncture.
• Reports changes in patient status to physicians and/or APPs; documents observations and actions taken.
• Demonstrates the ability and knowledge to network with others to provide a multidisciplinary approach to the support and care of the patient and their families, with the ability to initiate referrals to appropriate services.
• Demonstrates the skill and knowledge to conduct telephone triage. Ability to assess, identify, guide and support patient/family needs, concerns and problems, and knowledge to take appropriate action(s).
• Seeks supervisory support for unusual or complex cases.
• Works with new patient scheduling and Nurse Navigator on new patient referrals, ensuring that referring documents are received.
- ensures that all required and supplemental reports, pathology slides and radiologic imaging studies from outside facilities are obtained for established patients.
• Ability to remain calm and professional in crisis and emergent situations, and in dealing with difficult patients/family members.
• Knowledgeable and demonstrates compliance in standards of The Joint Commission Standards of Nursing Care and other applicable standards.
• Working knowledge of Advance Directives
• Participates in performance improvement to ensure evaluation and quality improvement of procedures and treatment pathways.
• Collaborate with providers to identify potential candidates for clinical trials.
• Performs other related duties as needed
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
• Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing. Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing preferred.
• 1- 3 years of oncology experience
• Current License to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse in New York State.
• ONS/ONCC certified
• BLS certified
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Strong computer skills with EHR experience
• Customer service oriented
• Ability to problem solve